This change, effective 04/01/2019, is targeted to override the instructions in the JFK SOP until 11/16/2019.
The purpose of this Mandatory Briefing Item is to clarify the procedures to use during the JFK Runway closure happening during 2019.
As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask any ZNY staff member on Teamspeak or Discord. Alternatively, you can email me at zny-fe [at] vatusa.net
JFK is undergoing major construction works during 2019 which will result in runway 13L/31R being closed for all traffic. The runway and associated taxiways will be closed for resurfacing for a time during construction to allow for the removal of the current runway surface. The construction will also improve the lighting for runway 13L/31R.
- If at any point, a pilot requests runway 13L/31R in lieu of the runway closure, the runway should be issued without question.
- This MBI may be disregarded at EC, JFK FC, TA, ATM or DATM discretion during events to help increase arrival rate.
- Controllers are to include the following text in voice ATIS:
- If using VRC Voice ATIS: "Runway 13L/31R closed. Available on request only."
- If using vATIS, use the following in the NOTAM section: "RY 13L/31R CLSD. AVBL ON RQST."
Runway and Taxiway Closures
Temporary JFK Airport Map
with closed taxiways and runways marked in RED, YELLOW, PINK, GREEN and BLUE colors (see color definitions to the left).
- From 04/01/2019 until 11/16/2019 the following runway and taxiways will be closed (marked with RED color):
- Runway 13L/31R will be closed and unavailable for aircraft to use for landing and departure
- Taxiway YA between approach end runway 31R and runway 22R/4L
- Taxiway UA
- From 04/01/2019 until 08/25/2019 the following taxiways will be closed (marked with YELLOW color):
- Taxiway U
- Taxiway C between approach end runway 13L and taxiway CA
- Taxiway CB between taxiway C and taxiway U
- From 04/01/2019 until 07/15/2019 the following taxiways will be closed (marked with PINK color):
- Taxiway W between taxiway B and taxiway C
- From 04/01/2019 until 06/28/2019 the following taxiways will be closed (marked with GREEN color):
- Taxiway Y between taxiway F and taxiway FB
- From 04/01/2019 until 06/21/2019 the following taxiways will be closed (marked with BLUE color):
- Taxiway DB between taxiway B and taxiway FB
- Taxiway D between taxiway B and taxiway C
- Taxiway ZA
New Temporary Instrument Approach Procedure
In association with the runway closure, RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 13R approach was published on 03/28/2019. This replaces the ILS RWY 13L (CAT II) approach.
For more information refer to the FAA NOTAM Tool and the JFK Construction Notice.